- 1 rottiserie chicken, meat removed and coursley chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 cup baby carrots (sliced)
- 4 large cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 10 corn tortillas - cut in 1/2, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying tortilla strips
- For serving: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated white cheddar cheese
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, coriander, half the tortillas and salt/pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the shredded chicken and cilantro. While the soup is cooking, fry the remaning tortilla strips in a small amount of vegetable oil until golden and crispy - about 3 minutes stirring midway. Let drain on a paper towel. Serve the soup hot topped with sliced avocado, cheese and the tortilla strips.
Based loosely on a recipe by Ina Garten.