Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Butternut Squash and Orzo with Fresh Sage
2 tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups cubed fresh butternut squash - you can find this at Costco
4 c. chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup white wine
1 c. orzo
1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 tbsp. chopped fresh sage
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and saute about 6 minutes (or until soft).
2. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add squash and stir to coat.
4. Add 1/2 c. chicken broth and wine. Cover and simmer until squash is just tender (taste a piece) and liquid is absorbed- about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, bring the rest of the chicken broth (3 1/2 c.) to boil in a saucepan. Add orzo. Boil uncovered until orzo is tender but still slightly al dente.
6. Combine with the squash mixture.
7. Stir in the parmesan and sage.
8. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve, topped with more parmesan if desired.
Adapted from Bon Appetit