Broccoli and Bowtie Pasta
- Kosher salt
- 8 cups broccoli florets (4 heads)
- 1/2 pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup toasted pignoli (pine) nuts
- Freshly grated Parmesan, optional
Cook the broccoli for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove the broccoli from the water with a slotted spoon or sieve. Place in a large bowl and set aside.In the same water, cook the bow-tie pasta according to the package directions, about 12 minutes. Drain well and add to the broccoli.
Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, heat the butter and oil and cook the garlic and lemon zest over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Off the heat, add 2 teaspoons salt, the pepper, and lemon juice and pour this over the broccoli and pasta. Toss well. Season to taste, sprinkle with the pignolis and cheese, if using, and serve.
To toast pignolis, place them in a dry saute pan over medium-low heat and cook, tossing often, for about 5 minutes, until light brown.
SOURCE: Ina Garten
We served it with grilled chicken marinated in the following: zest and juice of 3 lemons, 1/4 olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste.